On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Prasanna Venkadesh <prasmai...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We have OpenGL [1] - Open Graphics Library which consists of libraries
> written in C / C++ which touches GPU for 2D/3D rendering.
> We also have CGAL [2] - Computational Geometry Algorithms Library which is
> also written in C++ and that consists of libraries for carrying out
> Geometric algorithms.

OpenGL is a set of API that exposes the graphics card capabilities.
Graphics cards just offload and accelerate all graphics related operations
(from drawing simple lines, curves to complex lighting or other effects).
These can be done with CPUs also but it will be way slower than Graphics
cards as graphics cards are designed for this purpose. (Using CPU is like
implementing multiply and divide instruction using addition and subtraction
in software, using graphics card is like using the multiply and divide
instruction provided by the processor.)

> I am not able to understand if both are dependent on each other or both
> does the same work in their own way using C++ as primary language.
>
> One thing I understood is CGAL consists of set of algorithms for carrying
> out Geometric operations and these algorithms are also implemented in C++
> and available as a library which can be used by calling it's functions,
> whereas with OpenGL, we need to implement those algorithms programatically
> if needed ( Correct me, if I am wrong, even in this sense).

I think in CGAL things are done using CPU. This seems to be another set of
API. If you wish you can implement CGAL API such that it will use graphics
card for doing the computations instead of the CPU.

Both are APIs exposed for different purpose (there may be some over lap)
and both can be implemented using CPU or GPU - performance will differ
drastically.