On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Mohan Sundaram <mohan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2014 10:17 PM, "Ravi Kumar Tenneti" <rktenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some of the members who are in Hard ware business (we are also into the
>> same but don't know the sources) should   find out who are selling in
> India
>> the Atom boards with 4+ network cards. Some thing like below::;
> (reasonable
>> pricing)
>>
>> http://www.hacom.net/catalog/mercury-uno-n270-firewall-appliance
>>
>> We have raised this sometime back in ILUGC - hoping that somebody will
>> inform all the people about this as this is a space which is still void in
>> India. The key thing is reasonable pricing - many can import from other
>> countries but will work out to be costly.
>
> These boards run at low volumes and thus are higher priced even abroad than
> say routers or PCs. OpenWRT, Tomato and similar firmware is favoured as
> they run on common routers like Linksys, Buffalo etc. pFSense does not. It
> may be worthwhile to have a project to make it run on such hardware than to
> pursue purchase at reasonable price of low volume hardware.

+1  PC Engines has a new board with 3 NICs and 1GB RAM + 1Ghz CPU
costs around $150 + shipping + customs.   The soekris boards are even
more expensive.

I have used ATX form factor boards in regular cabinets with 4/5 NICs
(depending on PCI or PCI e slots) and get the same effect or perhaps
more powerful setup with a high end CPU and more RAM.

You can also pick up dual/quad port NICs on ebay.com (go for the buy
now option) from $25 to $50.  I prefer them as they are system pulls
from decommissioned servers in data centers; they are high quality.

For small network (< 25 nodes), Atom base boards with USB/RJ45 NICs
have also done a reasonable job for a FW+GW setup.

-- Arun Khan