Hi,

I have installed RHL 9 on my machine. As I required a kernel without version
support, I decided to compile a new one. I created a directory /home/all and
copied the kernel sources into it from /usr/src/linux### and compiled the
kernel in /home/all/linux###. Followed the steps given, make menuconfig,
make dep, make modules_install exactly as gien in the README ...

Well, everything went off smoothly, no make errors of any kind. Then I
copied the kernel, to /boot/ with a new name mylinux.

The problem is I can't boot into this kernel using grub. I added a new entry
similar to the already present entry. Then I even used rdev to specify the
root device, but still am unable. I tried all combinations, including :

title Linux_something
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel /boot/mylinux

It says Kernel Panic : cannot mount root fs or something like that.

What could be the problem? Should I build the kernel in /usr/src/linux###
directly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Venky