I think its always better to do the compiling in the /usr/src/linux xxx
directory. The steps are like this..
1. make oldconfig - this will produce the default configuration file .Config
and you can save this in another directory if u need it later,

2. make mrproper

3. make menuconfig or make xconfig(use this one, this is very graphical and
easy - and run this in xwindow terminal) - (make the changes that u want)
4. edit the MakeFile and give your linux kernel version name
5. make dep
6. make clean
7. make bzImage
8. make modules
9. make modules_install
10. make install

You can run commands 5 tp 10 in a single command line using ";" to
differentiate between commands.
There is no need to copy the bz image or edit the grub, as all this is done
automatically. But in case if the system shows some error in booting up,
edit the grub file, and change the label, and give the correct root
partition path.

Thanks

Balu