> thanks sharminder, have already tried uname, with its various options,
only
> tells you about the linux kernel, not the linux distribution.
> under /etc/ i may find the *.release file, which only exists if it is a
red
> hat distribution. nothing of that nature for debian, therefore knoppix,
etc
> etc.
> since the general 'feel' of a distribution can be heavily customized, this
> feature becomes all the more relevant.

try using nmap. It can fingerprint the OS, though that can be fooled too !!
AFAI think, A slackware type system should be easy to identify, courtesy the
difference in the boot scripts etc. A debian type system can be figured out
by looking under /usr/local/share ....
debian (and knoppix) i think keeps most of the package docs under
/usr/local/share/doc/ ... while redhat keeps them under /usr/share/doc ...
AFAIK .. as i said, if the system is really that obscure then you'll have to
rely on your instincts and check the directory structure etc. for any clues.
I would be interested in 'proper' solution to this one though !!

Sharninder