[Cross-posted]

Don't know whether to laugh or cry when reading this!  SunComm, who
make a copy protection mechanism for audio CDs, is suing a student who
has revealed how to bypass the copy protection mechanism: by the
complex process of holding down the Shift key when inserting the CD
into the drive!  The student is facing a $10M lawsuit and possible
prosecution under the DMCA.

This whole story is so bizarre and the statements from SunComm so
fantastic that I took it for a farce when I first read it.  However,
it happens to be true.  Read it yourself at:

Some excerpts:

SunnComm has threatened Princeton PhD student Alex Halderman with the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) for exposing a key weakness in
the company's latest CD copy protection technology, MediaMax CD3.

The company said today it will take legal action against Halderman for
revealing how MediaMax CD3 can be bypassed by holding down a Windows
PC's Shift key when a protected disc is inserted.

Doing so temporarily disables Windows' Autorun facility - which many
Reg readers have turned off anyway, they tell us - which prevents a
small installation app from being launched off the CD. That software
installs a device driver which detects the presence of a
copy-protected disc and prevents attempts to copy such CDs.

"Critical reviews written in part as an attempt to pressure the record
industry into abandoning further development of technically protected
audio CDs are ethically suspect when based on inaccurate assumptions,"
says SunnComm - without stating what those assumptions are or in what
way they are inaccurate.

... From: http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-5089168.html?tag=nefd_top

On Thursday, SunnComm CEO Peter Jacobs said the company plans legal
action and is considering both criminal and civil suits. He said it
may charge the student with maligning the company's reputation and,
possibly, with violating copyright law that bans the distribution of
tools for breaking through digital piracy safeguards.

"We feel we were the victim of an unannounced agenda and that the
company has been wronged," Jacobs said. "I think the agenda is:
'Digital property should belong to everyone on the Internet.' I'm not
sure that works in the marketplace."

[end]

``Distribution of tools for breaking through digital piracy
safeguards''?  Now you Shift key is a violation of the DMCA?
Bwaahaaa!

Regards,

-- Raju
--