--- Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote: >
> I havent followed Debian till now. Does it still
> find a GUI step wise
> installation uncool? I have always wondered why
> Debian had to have a
> freebsd kinda installation process? A menu of things
> to do is so much
> confusing for lesser mortals who will keep
> forgetting (did i click on
> that option or did i not?) ... a step wise install
> ensures that all the
> essential work is done properly. The menu seems good
> AFTER the system is
> installed.

I think a project is in line to make the installation
better. But meanwhile, there are other Debian based
distros which provide better installation interface. A
couple of years back I had tried Debian potato which
will somehow fail installing Zope after a laborious
process and I always failed to understand why it
should include Zope install ( I didnot ask for it).
And I didnot have the patience left to choose each
package to be installed manually one by one. Finally
when I found Knoppix easy to install, I went for it.
Once installed, it is Debian after all. Thereafter, it
is your choice whether you stick to the
Unstable/Testing mix provided by Knoppix, upgrade it
to Unstable, or downgrade to plain Woody. And I am
happy with what I have got.

-- narsingh