--- Vijay Raghavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >
Hello,

> I had a dual boot system with redhat linux and
> winxp. Winxp was giving a
> lot of problems. so decided to remove it and install
> win 2000. did it and
> as usual, lilo was gone.
>
> I have faced such a problem earlier too but I always
> used to reinstalled
> linux and I dont want to take the same old step.
>

> The steps I took:
>
> 1) used knoppix, was able to mount the root, was
> able to edit lilo.conf
> (used vi) but was unable to run lilo. whenever i ran
> lilo, it gave some
> error saying 'there's some problem in lilo.conf at
> line number xx'. I
> searched for some sample lilo.conf and there was no
> mistake.
>
> 2) used 2-3 floppy bootable linux distributions but
> was unseccussful.
>
> 3) since i can't go into dos, i can't use loadlin. i
> used a dos bootable
> floppy and tried loadlin
> from there but to no avail.
>
> 4) I even used the RHL 8.0 first CD to get into the
> rescue mode and try
> from there. but it says that there aren't any linux
> partitions present in
> the hard disk. ufff, there are i guess because
> explore2fs is able to read
> the partitions.
>

> NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO, I NEED LINUX TO STAND UP AND
> START RUNNING.
>

> Just the day before I lost linux, i apt-get_ed it.
> It took precious 3
> hours of mine.

With Knoppix CD do it like this:
- Boot off the Knoppix CD.
- Open a terminal. You become root with the command
"sudo su". You can also open the root terminal which
is on the Knoppix menu.
- mount the drive partition having Linux (mount
/dev/hda?)(replace the ? with the appropriate drive
letter)
- change to the partition holding Linux on the
harddisk. (cd /mnt/hda?)
- chroot to the Linux partition (chroot /mnt/hda1)
- Now you can edit the "/etc/lilo.conf" file if
required.
- Finally, shoot the command "/sbin/lilo". Reboot and
you are done.

The trick is to "chroot" to the Linux partition, else
you are refering to the wrong "/etc/lilo.conf" and
"/sbin/lilo" scripts.

-- narsingh