> How is it different ? I personally setup a linux
> mail server at DRDO few
> years back.
> Sounds to me, like it is being adapted by the army
> gradually.

 DRDO is not ARMY. DRDO does research and development
of weapons and not uses them. Still the launch control
for several weapons run on windows NT and 2000, in
Indian Army. Even Indian Army use M$ products for
there say to day operations. Some other OS such as
Novel and Unix are used sparingly in mission critical
operations but Linux is not used at all.
 If it can be proved that there are some standard
specification for software to be military grade and
linux fullfills them then it will be easier to make a
case of usage of linux in Indian armed forces as this
kind of decision has to be routed through beaurocrats
(all of us know how much M$ has control over them) a
proof of certain standards being met by linux will
certainly force them to think.

regards
VK

=====
Disclamer
The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw...