As a developer who is trying to get juice out of the system gentoo seems
very attractive.

But one problem I faced is lack of eco-system around the distribution.

I would like to see people making binary gentoo packages and exchanging
them.

I do'nt see any other way to install system in two hours.

When I tried it took me 3 days to get and compile all the packages that
I needed. And I am not of kind who would try too much stuff anymore. I
can list all the stuff I need in one line.

galeon, evolution, development tools, gaim, xfce, emacs, some other
support utils.

Time period required to compile major part of the packages are given
below.

This I am reporting for a PII with 192 MB RAM

XFree86 6 hours
Mozilla 5 hours
evolution and support tools like bonobo, gnome etc  5 hours
linux kernel 45 minutes
xfce - 20 minutes
glibc - 4 hours

Supreet