On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Bhaskar Dutta wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 18:26:37 +0530
> From: Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [ilugd] Re: Gentoo
>

>   >>> On Thursday 01 Apr 2004 10:00 am, TD <Tarun Dua> said:
>     TD> Supreet Sethi wrote:
>     TD> > When I tried it took me 3 days to get and compile all the packages
>  that TD> > I needed.
>     TD> I was told there is another problem with Gentoo.
>     TD> It tries to use all sorts of tested/un-tested compile time switches
>  when TD> it compiles which doesn't always result in an optimized system as
>  is TD> desired. What was your experience with the gentoo install Supreet, is
>  it TD> worth the time and effort.
>     TD>
>
> Well, unless you have some wild settings in your /etc/make.conf  (for example
> ~ARCH, which is similar to debian unstable; or say wrong CHOST, CFLAGS and
> CXXFLAGS ), from my personal experience I don't think gentoo will ever give
> you an under-optimized or broken system .  All compile switches provided with
> the ebuilds are tested by the developers. Could you please share the details
> where such a thing has happened?
>
> Regards,
> Bhaskar.

Will using Gentoo, or in simple, recompiling programs with Optimization
Flags make a major difference. For a normal set of packages I don't think so. Besides,
it does make differences with some exceptional softwares like Open Office etc, may be,
but I'm not sure. Won't simply using `prelink` on a normal package (packages made for
Debian/RedHat) optimize it. Yes, there are results on Gentoo's website that do prove
that performance is much better the Gentoo way but `prelink` too has some features to
suffice it.
I know it's not directly related to the topic but thought might be of
some use. Following are some links related to prelink:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2001-06/msg00113.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-05/msg01670.html

rrs

> --

>  Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>      GPG .eq. AA56 1EB5 D7E8 DD9C 298E  8F4D 375F D416 01D5 671C
> gpg: Signature made Thu Apr  1 18:26:37 2004 IST using DSA key ID 01D5671C
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found

Ritesh Raj Sarraf       Email: rrs [EMAIL PROTECTED] researchut.com
Web: http://www.researchut.com  Phone: +91-9899655651
GPG Key ID: 0x04F130BC