On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Ankur Rohatgi wrote:

> On 04/12/2004 05:08 PM, Varun Varma wrote:
>
> | -> Started threatening
>
> Ok i am being a flamebait for this email, but what the heck ...
>
> As much as i hate MS for my own reasons, i have to say they are what
> every business would dream of being. Yes they do have unusual and
> sometimes illegal practices but they other guys cave in largely because
> they want to be associated with MS , for no other reason but profit
> themselves. They do have choices but they choose the easy way of
> aligning with MS so they continue to make money. The fact that MS has
> the largest share is not because they made people use their products at
> gunpoint but at one time their OS was indeed a good product and people
> just got into using that product.

Same thing applies to people selling narcotics. I mean, if freely allowed
(which I feel should happen BTW), many people do tend to go for them. That
does not mean they are good products or something.

And ya the MS business model is something many would dream of. It may be
good business model but certainly not the correct one ethicaly.

If MS business model is correct. What is the problem if couples decide not
to have children. They certainly will be left with less worries, more sex,
more money and more life. Money is important but is not everything. In the
end there should be some preference for the cause of the society we live
in somewhere before your own self.

> The fact that the OS turned into something else later and the large user
> base is being exploited by MS now, is a different story.

What you call exploitation may be clever business practices for some,
similar to your branding of some business practices of MS as something
which ``every business would dream of being.'' See everything is relative.
Most people in India oppose US attack on Iraq but demand a similar action
in case of Pakistan by the US. Probably because, most of the times, our
thinking is self-centered. Think over it.

..
--
``Prefer Free Software philosophy over Open-source/Closed-source
philosophy, for philosophies are supposed to make better human beings not