  >>> On Friday 16 April 2004 09:47, RM <Rishabh Manocha> said:
    RM> Hey guys,
    RM> I use Esetroot to set the background for my Desktop.I use openbox as
 my RM> window manager on a debian sid 2.6.4.
    RM> I wrote a small perl script to change my
    RM> background(www.cs.utexas.edu/users/rmanocha/projects/change_desk.pl).
    RM> My main aim behind writing this script was to put it into a cron job
 so RM> that my desktop background can change every hour without me having to
 RM> fiddle with it.
    RM> However the cron job does not work.It exits with this error:
    RM> /etc/cron.hourly/change_desk:
    RM> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    RM> Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
    RM>
    RM> Esetroot:  Unable to open display :0.0
    RM>
    RM> This script works just fine when i execute it from a terminal.The
    RM> permissions on other scripts and this script in the directory is:
    RM> -rwx------    1 rmanocha rmanocha       80 Apr 15 01:19 change_desk
    RM> -rwx------    1 rmanocha rmanocha      300 Mar 11 14:19 hmailscript
    RM> the second script works just fine for me and so i am wondering why
 this RM> script is not working.Is it because the script is executes an
 another RM> user(thought not likely since no one else has execute
 permissions on the RM> script).

your X server doesnt allow user 'rmanocha' to make direct connections to it.
thats because access control is enabled on your box. check the output of
`xhost`. should give something like:
access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect.
and, you are not authorised (the script is owned by user rmanocha, who is
probably not on the authorized user's list). check `man xhost` and do the
needful.

cron is running as root, and it will never let any script owned by an
unauthorized user  to make direct x connections. thats considered dangerous.
as ams pointed out, put it in your own crontab. or add yourself to xhost (i
would probably do the latter if i am on a single user system).

regards,
bhaskar

p.s. your script uses Esetroot without the `-d` param. i dunno what
consequences it might have. do test it for multi-user environments also.

- --

 Bhaskar Dutta <bhaskie99 at yahoo dot co dot uk>
 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x01D5671C
 GPG FPR: AA56 1EB5 D7E8 DD9C 298E  8F4D 375F D416 01D5 671C