Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
Qasim Zaidi wrote:

If the responsibility of updating the DNS is that of DHCP server

> (thats what i think, correct me if ms dhcp client does this), > why am i getting different behaviours in linux and windows ?

A standard DHCP server never updates DNS - DHCP and DNS never work together normally. Some setups like dyndns do that but it is their own custom setup.

While it is true that Dynamic DNS is not fully standarised yet, several, if not all DHCP servers support DNS updates based on IETF working recommendations.

DHCP doesnt work very well with DNS normally - they are virtually an anithesis for each other - DHCP is all about dynamic addresses, and DNS is all about names to *fixed* ip addresses.

Not really. DNS is about mapping names to IPs and vice-versa - fixed or not fixed.

If you want your hostname/IP address setting to be preserved, configure your DHCP server to send you a fixed IP address based on your MAC address, and then setup this IP address against your hostname in the DNS.

Actually, there are three ways to support DNS updates with DHCP:

-> The server does this for a new lease without the client asking it to do so.

-> The client asks the server to update the DNS records on it's behalf.

-> The client updates the DNS records directly.

In the case of the OP, what is most probably happening that Win2K is configured to update the DNS records [the 3rd option], which can be checked by going to "Local Area Connection Properties" -> "TCP/IP Properties" -> "Advanced" -> "DNS" -> "Register this connection's address in DNS", while dhclient under Linux isn't

To the OP: man dhclient.conf and look under "Dynamic DNS"

Varun Varma