    Jasmeet> Bhaskar Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
    >> how about having an IRC channel where we can have some
    >> discussions as well as help some newbies?  is it a good idea?
    >> my apologies if it sounds stupid or lame. you can flame me on
    >> #ilugd at irc.freenode.net

    Jasmeet> I am not sure if you know, there is already a #linux-help
    Jasmeet> on Undernet where you could get help.  Also there is
    Jasmeet> #linux on Undernet, where linux users usually "hang out",
    Jasmeet> but this one is strictly NON help channel, you can
    Jasmeet> exchange ideas though.

It's #linuxhelp, and it's full of nice, kind people who will nicely
tell you to go to google first before disturbing their peace.  However
if you do demonstrate a clue they will be very glad to help you (clue
as in having read and imbibed
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ).

#linux on Undernet, OTOH, is completely insane.  It's full of gurus in
just about any field you could think of, but it's horribly elitist and
has zero tolerance for idiots.  If you manage to get someone's
interest there you will get better support than paying
$UMPTEEN_BILLIONS to $COMMERCIAL_ENTITY, but the chances are higher
that you'll get kicked out within 15 seconds of joining for having a
weird nick, sp34k1ng in l33t-sp33k, using junk like ``u r'' when you
mean ``you are'' or just because some chanop is in a bad mood due to
his/her coffee machine having broken down in the morning.

If you do dare to go there I'm sometimes online as OldMonk.  Don't
expect any favours, though -- when in #linux I forget all other
affiliations :)

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/