    Sandip> # Subodh # wrote:
    >> hi !
    >>
    >> i am running "Cygwin" each time i try to connect by giveing
    >> command $irc /server irc.freenode.net it says ***Looking up
    >> your hostname....  ***checking ident ***Coudn't lookup your
    >> hostname ***no ident <auth> response *** closing link:
    >> connection timed out.
    >>
    >> where i am wrong i have set up nothing in cygwin its only
    >> yesterday i installed

    Sandip> It is not a problem with cygwin, it is a "feature" of most
    Sandip> IRC servers now. To prevent automated attacks, etc on the
    Sandip> chat servers, as soon as you login to the chat server, it
    Sandip> first tries to connect to the ident service on your
    Sandip> machine to find out whether you really have a running
    Sandip> account there which is attempting to connect.

    Sandip> Windows desktops dont have ident services. However,
    Sandip> windows IRC clients like mirc starts its own ident
    Sandip> services to allow you to authenticate and login to the
    Sandip> chat server.

    Sandip> So the solution is: either you use a chat client which is
    Sandip> compliant with the IRC server like mirc, or run your own
    Sandip> ident service on the machine. I dont know how - for the
    Sandip> second option.

Oh, I don't know.  Connecting to irc.freenode.net from IRSSI (the
rocking Perl-enabled client) under Linux:

07:58 Irssi: Connecting to irc.freenode.net [82.96.64.2] port 6667
07:58 Irssi: Connection to irc.freenode.net established
07:58 <- notice[irc.freenode.net] *** Looking up your hostname...
07:58 <- notice[irc.freenode.net] *** Checking ident
07:58 <- notice[irc.freenode.net] *** No identd (auth) response
07:59 <- notice[irc.freenode.net] *** Couldn't look up your hostname
07:59 Welcome to the freenode IRC Network OldMonk
07:59 Your host is kornbluth.freenode.net[kornbluth.freenode.net/6667], running
          version dancer-ircd-1.0.35

No ident, no reverse lookup, it still works.

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/
                      It is the mind that moves