Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote (about someone else):
> I'm always happy to share my experiences. In my experience, if you use
> words like "thot", "wud" and "some1", anyone with a clue will conclude
> that you are an idiot and ignore you.

I wouldn't think of you as an idiot if you couldn't spell.  There are many
reasons for mistakes, some un-intentional.

However, a mis-spelt, badly-phrased message to me implies that you did not
consider it important enough to read it through.  If _you_ do not consider
your messages to be of sufficient value to read, why would I?

Of course there are exceptions.  And there are fora where "u" is the right
way to spell "you".

My Hindi is pretty bad, so I do not speak it where clarity matters.  And on
a technical list, clarity mattars.

--
Sanjeev