V shekhar wrote:
well i just started this weekend, yes google helped me quite a bit, but the point is i want to foillow something whinch really worked for someone.there are many options available, i want to straightaway follow the best option...:-)

<a lot of snip>

In all the noise, the actual problem got lost.

We had setup Squid + Viralator + ClamAV on a client site with the following essential stats:

-> 250 users in /etc/passwd
-> 70 stations [The client runs shifts]
-> 25-30 concurrent browsing sessions
-> Intel Bonham Server - PIV, 512MB RAM, IDE Disks [RAID 1], running various server applications like proxy, mail server, DNS etc.

Observations:

-> The performance was satisfactory
-> We had to discontinue because of the following problem: When a file is downloaded, Viralator's pop-up window opens up informing the user that the file is being downloaded and scanned. The problem is that this window does not show the progress of the download, and thus, for large downloads, end users are clue-less as to what's happening. Note: This was quite some time ago, and I did not set this up personally, so something might have been overlooked, including the fact the Viralator actually supported informing about progress or it does so now.

Some flame baits for you:

-> There is nothing called a "best option." If you believe in that sort of thing, look at Microsoft products.

-> You haven't specified your setup parameters, so one can't recommend what solution you should use.

-> Don't top post.

Varun Varma