yabadaba doo! thank god someone woke up to the *sense* of having a
dedicated mailing list for handheld devices, including cellphones.

i raised this topic about two weeks ago, only to have a ballistic tarun
dua pooh!pooh! the idea.

drat! it has taken more than 25 years for india to have a modest 10
million pcs in india. don't even do the math on how many have gnulinux
installed on desktop pcs. [my wild wild exaggerated guess: 200,000 to
500,000]

but less than 10 years, india has 30 million cellphones alone, not
counting pda and handhelds. the two growing operating systems on these:
symbian, and gnulinux. overt time, gnulinux is supposed to take over the
market, according to most industry experts.

but, even on symbian, you can get gnu software, as in, muft and mukt
software. the number of software apps available on these platforms is
growing.

all these devices have to talk with desktops. we use gnulinux desktops.
issues of connectivity, kernel support, stacks, protocols, client-end
software, remote logins... heck! loads of things can be discussed and
shared.

yes, we need a dedicated mailing list. i can forsee resources shared too,
such as free *.sis files (for symbian) and themes, ringing tones, etc. and
of course, growing list of software.

also, stuff like gprs, infrared, 802.11 support, and other stuff, is
beginning to matter. why? because suddenly enterprise has discovered in
the world of long-commute times and distances, the handheld cellphone is
the best bet for keep the mobile workforce connected to the enterprise.
google on this amazing new phenomenon.

other handhelds, such as psion, palm, even iPaq, blueberry, etc., may be
discussed, if these are relevant to gnulinux.

the industry also estimates that over time a new slew of handheld devices
(which are not cellphones) and which may use gnulinux and/or gnu software
could debut. these devices could be home sterero devices, home
entertainment devices, and other types...

so, let's start!

:-)
LL