I have a HP Blade server running Fedora Core 1 with the following
hardware config:

1. 4 x 3 GHz Xeon CPU's
2. 2GB RAM

About once a month this server will suddenly show a load average of 1+
for almost an hour.

In this period all the 4 CPU's are running at 99-100% idle. RAM
utilization is only 1GB out of the available 2GB and there are about
165 processes running out of which 164 are idle.

Tried sorting the output of top by CPU load and got the highest CPU
user at 0.3% which was kscand and that too intermitently. Sorting by
memory usage also didnt help since mysql was the only intermittent
process which was showing any memory usuage other than top itself.

Would appreciate it if someone could give some pointers to try out.

If I remember correctly the only services running on this is ssh,
apache and mysql.

Mithun