Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
Another thing that can be done is to have NASSCOM go after the Ritchie Street / Lamington Road / Nehru Place etc petty assemblers who are doing this, and force them to stop bundling pirated windows software with PCs that they sell.

I have been thinking on those lines. The only thing that troubles me with this, is getting aligned with an organization that I fundamentally disagree with.

Recent news = Ritchie street in Madras rapidly emptied itself of pirated VCD / DVD shops, after the TN government warned that it'd throw VCD pirates in jail.

In Delhi, raids happen regularly too. People are handcuffed/jailed, exaggerated figures of confisticated goods are quoted in newspapers .. and in a few days these people are back in business.

Kerala kickstarts Linux usage with 100-plus help centres

Yes. The first step is to get the government to recognize the role of FOSS in the society. It has happened in Kerala.

With the recent news of the cash strapped MCD (Municipal Corp of Delhi) taking the "help" of MS for its "India Education Programme" (aka India MS Training Program), it seems we still have a lot to do in the capital. Curiously, our President does recognize FOSS. Wonder what he gets to do about it.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3