Sanjeev "Ghane" Gupta wrote:
So do you think the Indian Linux community can and should be doing
something about this?

Talk to me. I have a budget, and no ideas.

Given that your current sales might get affected if we "force" people to use whichever OS is bundled with the computer, do you think the powers-that-be in yours and other Linux PC selling organizations would support us in this venture?

In Singapore, I have 2 Linux companies that provide free email support for our PCs, they benefit by advertising, and some of these will convert to a paid support contract. Hopefully, some customers will hire these companies for commercial Linux app stuff as well. We support them by giving them hardware and other assistance.

The easy way would be for me to put in a flyer mentioning the LUG mailing list, however, this will not work till members have access to the hardware and distribution we pre-load.

Some other ideas being:
a. Having LUG exhibitions in these computer selling places. Mostly to tell people that how 90% of the needs of 90% of the customers ;) could be satisfied by Linux. Also to tell people that a support helpline (the ILUGD list) exists. Ofcourse, we need to tell them that using LUG lists is like going to a self-service restaurant instead of a restaurant with a waiter.
b. Putting up posters around these shops/everywhere mentioning the LUG mailing lists.
c. Distributing flyers to these hardware sellers itself.
d. Having a really-newbie-helpline mailing list, where such people can be coxed into joining. In these lists, a lot of things normally strongly discouraged in the present LUG lists could be allowed. e.g. Bad grammar, 3leet speak, asking the same question a million times, etc. After all this is what being a software/hardware support centre is all about, right? ;) I am serious about this.

- Sandip

-- Sandip Bhattacharya * Puroga Technologies * [EMAIL PROTECTED] Work: http://www.puroga.com * Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3