On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:08 +0530, gaurav wrote:
> Hi guys,
>              I want to know if fedora is good enough for production
> Even though I not much problem running my fc servers all people I have
> consulted say I should use debian (and no I cannot pay for  RHEL).....is
> it based on facts like security holes, bugs and response , patches
> availability  or some general perception  ??

Part of it is fact, and a part is perception.
For perception, take a look at
http://atulchitnis.net/writings/eyeballtrap.php

And about the facts...
Sysadmins running production servers tend to be a bit conservative about
the software running on them. e.g. you will still find people running
Red Hat Linux 7.3 (I am one of them). Debian stable appeals to these
people because of the emphasis given on stability rather than being
current. Fedora Core packages a lot of software which are in their
current versions. With not much history behind them, these sysadmins
find it uncomfortable to risk their systems on such unknowns.

On the other hand, Fedora Core is good enough for most other
applications - you can run web staging servers, mail servers, database
servers  etc. without too much trouble.

Just remember that whenever people talk about "stability", every one has
a different view on what stability means .. and in many cases it is
different from what they actually need.

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com   *    Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3