Yashpal Nagar wrote:

>Hi Linux-Delhi,
>
>  I am looking for two servers, configuration are as follows.
>
>Server1:   3.0 GHz 4CPUs(Xeon processors) server,  4 GB  DDR ECC RAM,
>800MHz FSB, 146GB SCSI U320 10k rpm hard disks, hot pluggable. Hardware
>RAID card, CDROM, floopy drive

any reasons why you opting for Xeon not AMD Optron ??

>Server2 : 3.0 GHz 2CPUs(Xeon preferbly), 2GB DDR ECC RAM, 146GB SCSI
>U320 10k rpm, hot pluggable, Hardware RAID card, CDROM , floppy
>
>I got the quotations from Dell, HP but pricing is a lot of difference
>e.g compare AS-PE2850-Dell(TM) Power edge 2850 with HP's  .DL-380 G4.
>
>These boxes need to run with Linux along with Oracle as the DB.
>Can ayone help me with in choosing a good server and worth for money.
>Money is not the problem for a promising hardware.
>which one HP, Dell or IBM? My experience with HP servers is awesome

Even though dell severs are good looking and easy to operate ...as per
my experience  HP (or Compaq) are really rock solid and better suited
for mission critical applications
I think Sun has started offering Servers with AMD platform
(http://www.sun.com/amd/) which you also try (I read somewhere  m$ is
using these servers internally)