Hi there,
> 1. Is it true that the backend of Google is on Linux ? . I know that
> their database is MySql based
Well, to say the truth, they almost have their own OS. It's true that
the core of the OS is GNU/Linux, but they have modified it to suite
their needs and the modifications are major enough. For example, they
have their own Terabyte FileSystem (GoogleFS), the webserver they use
also identifies as GWS v2.1 [Google Web Server]. So they have changed
stuff pretty much.

> So my question how are they managing this. and what implications does
> it have for email users. PLus they have free pop and smtp. Its kindof

> unbelievable.
Google has its own business policy. They have this
`be-good-to-customers' policy where they provide users with max
benefits and in turn earn a lot via ads. As far as the size of the
mailbox is concerned, they have their own cheap hardware solution for
that. So size doesn't really matter for them.
Regards,
bhaskar

It is NEVER Linux OS. It's ``GNU/Linux'' OS. For more info follow this link
--> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html