From: "Sandip Bhattacharya" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [ilugd] Passwords restricted to 8 digits

Abhishek Jain wrote:
> Hi Friends,
> In mine server (which i used to host websites) mine passwords whether root
> or other have been restricted to 8 digits . I can change the passwords to
> more digits but when i log in even a 8 digit password works. ie. i can
> login
> with even a 8 digit pass while i have changed and the server accepts the
> change to 15 or mnre digits.
> I mean is there a methord to bring the situation to normal. I am using
> Fedora Core 2 as the OS with webmin as the control panel.
> Pl. help me . I think the problem is with PAM is that true. I have googled
> but can not find a solution.

Use md5 hashed passwords. In traditional crypt based passwords only the
first 8 characters of the passwords are significant.

To check whether you are using MD5 based passwords, see the contents of
/etc/sysconfig/authconfig. If there is a line "USEMD5=yes" there, then
you are using MD5 based passwords. Your description indicates that you
are not. Either edit this file to set USEMD5 to yes, or use authconfig
to enable MD5 based passwords.

After this you will have to change all the existing passwords to turn
them into md5 based hashes.

Do tell me if this works.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3