Ankit Malik wrote:

> Another *drastic* soln. might be removing swap??? I have a question...what
> happens if I dont have swap space and i run out of ram? does the system
> hangs/locks or it waits for space to be emptied out?

I think if you run out of memory, a process called OOM-killer will get
started and killoff the process that is taking up the most amount of
memory.  If you really want to run without swap, you can put at least 1
GB or RAM (if you use OO+Mozila+KDE/GNOME) adn set swapiness to 0

--
Raj Shekhar                        Y!IM : lunatech3007
blog : http://rajshekhar.net/blog  home : http://rajshekhar.net