BIG NEWS ON USA MICROSOFT: Slavery to It Is Ending

Por Clayton Hallmark - Saturday, May. 28, 2005
(Reported on Slashdot)
Mass-produced computers can KILL Microsoft and free the
world's computer users. They'll be too cheap to accommodate MS
Windows -- MS's bread and butter. Computers will go the way of
TVs and VCRs -- cheap offshore (non-USA) production. They'll
be cheap, simple, general-purpose (FREE SOFTWARE), all-
electronic (no disk drive) -- in other words, real electronic
computers, finally. READ ABOUT THE OPENING SHOT, MOBILIS,
FIRED IN BANGALORE, INDIA, ON MAY 26, 2005.

If you like this idea, remember, above all, avoid Microsoft
traps like the "Windows XP Starter Edition." It's a $30 loss-
leader for developing nations -- with price-gouging to begin
soon after. If you are outside the USA, be like Munich,
Germany -- declare your freedom by going open-source for your
enterprise. Beware of the US spies at the USAID and beware
Microsoft's so-called "Local Economic Development Program for
Software," which is insurgent in Brazil and Jordan. Read a US
judge's decision on how MS strangles the US market (http://
www.albion.com/microsoft/) and avoid this for your country.

A respected US group, the Gartner group, warns against the
Windows "Starter Edition" at http://news.com.com/
Gartner+Steer+away+from+cheap+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5309139.
html?tag=st.rn .

To read about Microsoft's designs on your country, see http://
news.com.com/A+billion+PC+users+on+the+way/2100-1003_3-
5290988.html?tag=nl . The head of the USAID (US Agency for
International Development) is Andrew Natsios, a nephew of
famed CIA spy Nicholas Natsios.

For non-US persons looking for freedom from Microsoft for
their enterprise, consider the Munich example at: http://www.
usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2003-07-13-microsoft-
linux-munich_x.htm and Germany's example at http://www.dw-
world.de/dw/article/0,1564,568696,00.html . Bergen, Norway's
second city, is planning to switch its computers to Linux.

For balls, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballsmer has threatened Asian
countries -- sovereign nations, mind you -- with lawsuits if
they employ the Linux open-sourse operating system. He
threatens them under the aegis of the World Trade
Organization. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/
1283010/posts

However, the hundred-dollar Linux computer will be the end of
Microsoft's dominance and possibly the company itself. Do you
care? Can the Indian MOBILIS beat Microsoft? Can Wal-Mart beat
Microsoft in America? Since you are reading this on a
computer, you are a slave to MS and you should care. Freeing
us from MS and its robber baron could raise the US
productivity by several points. It can free foreign
governments from aggression by Microsoft. I'll show how. To
have fun, usable, efficient computers, it is necessary. To
finally realize the dream that Bill Gates aborted, we need a
computer that is: Cheap----Instant-On----Simple----General
Purpose. Only India has one, for $200 ("good globalization").
We (the rest of the world) don't. This might not be the
machine, but more are coming, and they will starve Microsoft.

At $100 or $200 there is no room for Windows, unless MS gives
away its XP "Special Edition" or its CE -- as a trap.

If the computer becoming a commodity is a threat to MS, the
company is only encouraging that trend with its foray into
home entertainment. They are doing this for one reason: to
keep game consoles from competing with PCs and Windows. That's
why you won't see windows on game boxes. This will backfire.
No American company can long make money in the manufacturing
and marketing of home entertainment. It will be "deja vu all
over again": When a new must-have Next Big Thing makes a
market in the US, the Asians make it and take it. (The list is
long and started with the transistor: portable radios, all
radios, B&W TVs, color TVs, VCRs, CD players, digital clocks,
watches, cameras -- and now, the computer.) Home entertainment
systems are a booby trap for American companies and they will
be for MS, too. Microsoft's participation in this will help
ensure the commoditization of computing -- the opposite of
what they planned.

At $100 or $200 there is no room for Windows and Microsoft,
because the price charged manufacturers -- $70 to $83 for each
computer using Windows -- precludes it. That is a tax that
most of us have to pay when we buy a computer. Microsoft also
has a $30 Windows XP version for what they call "entry
computers" in developing countries ONLY -- but it is a trap --
much higher prices, like subscription charges, will follow.
DON'T FALL FOR THE $30 WINDOWS "STARTER EDITION" TRAP! http://
news.com.com/Gartner+Steer+away+from+cheap+Windows+XP/2100-
1016_3-5309139.html?tag=st.rn

$220 AND FALLING

Today's "personal computer" is not even a true computer, in
that it is not a general-purpose device but a proprietary
Wintel (Windows and Intel, working in collusion) device. The
PC is a corrupted version of the microcomputer vision that we
had in the 1970s. I was there. That vision failed when
Microsoft pirated away the microcomputer/small computer/home
computer as we variously called it. I will show that we have
the tools to take back the vision of the computer as a
universally available intellectual tool -- take it back from
Bill Gates, the Blue Beard of computing. I will show that
globalization is not all bad. It will take more than Linux or
free open-source software (FOSS), much more, as explained
below.

Famous computer visionary Nicholas Negroponte of the MIT Media
Lab is developing and promoting a $100 laptop with proposed
specifications including a 500-MHz processor, 1 GB of memory,
an XVGA display, and free Linux. He envisions 200,000,000
million of them being distributed to countries like China in
two years. However, the Indian company Encore Software already
is marking a small computer, the MOBILIS, with much more
modest specs, for about $220. The Mobilis may not have the
features many of you want, but it is a crack in the dam. As
cheap computers flood the US, upgraded versions soon will
appear -- much cheaper because of no MS tax -- and much
better. Both of the above computers employ the open-source
Linux operating system (OS). Walmart.com already sells a good,
cheap OS-LESS computer -- you get to choose one. These
machines might not change the world, and nonproprietary
operating systems besides Linux might become more important,
but all this shows what is coming.

"APPROPRIATE COMPUTING" MANIFESTO: FOR THE MICROSOFT KILLER, I
PROPOSE CERTAIN CORE FEATURES

The Indian Mobilis has some of them. They include:

1. Cheap (nearly free) nonproprietary operating system (Linux
or other) and cheap nonproprietary basic applications -- word
processor, browser, etc. --- This would make the small
computer a general-purpose device, as a computer should be --
not tied to Microsoft, Apple, or Palm. Above all, the small
computer must AVOID MICROSOFT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND BE
ABLE TO PROVE THIS IN A COURT OF LAW. Microsoft basically is a
publishing company full of lawyers. (Did you ever see a
publishing company get this big or a publisher get as wealthy?
Not even Hearst of "Citizen Kane." They exploit the law and
technological ignorance.) Avoid Apple, Microsoft, and all
proprietary software as much as possible. An operating system
is one of those things you shouldn't have to pay for --
certainly not on the basis that the publisher (Microsoft)
excludes other software companies from YOUR computer. You
don't pay for an OS when you buy home entertainment devices
(though some probably would like to put an OS in a kitchen
toaster).

2. Instant-on operation --- no waiting for the OS to load from
a hard drive. Keep the OS small enough to fit economically in
nonvolatile solid-state memory (flash, etc.).

3. At last, an ELECTRONIC computer. --- What we have now, the
PC, includes an electromechanical device, the motorized hard
drive -- an electromagnetic device like the relays in the
Harvard Mark I of 1943. With "general purposeness" and all-
electronic operation (OS on chips, not a disk drive), we would
finally have something that meets the traditional definition
of a real electronic computer. Watch the price of flash memory
go down and you will see the possibilities for taking the "D"
out of "DOS."

4. Simplicity. --- Since the operating system would be on
semiconductor chips, it would be much smaller than the
monstrous "whatever the traffic will bear" Windows. A small
operating system is a simple one. Remember DOS and the early
computers? To start "computing" (limited, admittedly), one had
only to know how to turn on the power switch and insert the
boot disk. Computer simplicity alone could add several points
to a nation's labor productivity.

5. Driver software for common hardware such as Epson printers
and HP scanners.

6. Ability to view, print, edit, and exchange files in
Microsoft formats (.doc, .xls, etc.) and to convert to and
from standard file formats, including proprietary ones where
legal.

7. Ports for expandability to include connectivity (modem,
Ethernet, etc.), hardware devices (printer, scanner, etc.),
and more storage (e.g., Lexar JumpDrives). The Mobilis uses
UPS for expansion.

ARE THESE DESIGN GOALS REALISTIC?

Of course they are, and Microsoft cannot do anything about
this. In fact, their CEO, Steve Ballsmer, says he wants to see
a $100 PC, with a trap, of course: Windows "Starter Edition."
See http://news.com.com/
Gartner+Steer+away+from+cheap+Windows+XP/2100-1016_3-5309139.
html?tag=st.rn and also see http://news.com.com/
Ballmer+We+need+a+100+PC/2100-1012_3-5419179.html.

THE NEWS NOW: India already has the Linux-based Mobilis that
sells for $220US and has its OS on chips -- where, by the way,
viruses can't get to them. It is simple to use because it is a
simple machine. It has to be simple because you cannot build
Wintel complexity into a $200 computer. And you can't build a
MS Windows computer for $200, much less $100. Who needs
Windows? We really need to ask.

FOR AMERICANS: "What this country needs is a good C-note
computer" [says I]. Can we have it? Yes, and Wal-Mart could
bring it to us. With that company's merchandising clout, it
probably could hope to market profitably a small computer such
as the Indian one for $100. Since Wal-Mart is a global
operation, there is a strong incentive to do this. Wal-Mart
was the first major US retailer to offer PCs without Windows
preloaded. Already Walmart.com (Wal-Mart's e-commerce site)
offers a $498 Balance laptop that runs Linux-based Linspire
http://www.linspire.com/lindows_news_pressreleases_archives.
php?id=154 .

For desktops, Walmart.com offers a $398 desktop from Microtel,
with a 1 GHz Duron processor (includes disk drive but no
monitor). It runs a version of Linux from Sun Microsystems,
the famous maker of Java workstations and Java software. All
of these Wal-Mart prices do not even require mail-in rebates!
http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5182158.html

FOR THE WORLD: The fabled MIT Media Lab (Nicholas Negroponte)
is developing a $100 laptop now http://laptop.media.mit. This
will be worthwhile ONLY as long as it is based on Linux or
other open-source software rather than Microsoft.

Via Technologies, a chip-set maker in Taiwan, has designed the
Terra PC, which it will license worldwide and which will sell
for $250. It should be available in India and elsewhere in
autumn of 2005. It even includes a monitor in the $250 price.
http://news.com.com/Via+readies+250+PC/2100-1003_3-5701443.
html The Terra appears to not be infected by Windows or
Microsoft yet.

AVOID THE AMD PIC (PERSONAL INTERNET COMMUNICATOR): The US
chip maker AMD has designed the PIC to sell for $185. The
India version of this has not made a dent in the market,
fortunately. This will run on Windows CE and is another
Microsoft trap -- like "Starter Edition" XP, or Windows Lite -
- for entry-level users. Once MS has you, it's hard to break
loose. Generally, non-US hardware is safer for those wanting
to avoid Microsoft/Windows software. Any Via solution is
preferable to AMD. AMD's chairman, Hector Ruiz, is an advocate
of $100 computers, but he has sold out to Microsoft. See http:
//news.com.com/Why+100+computers+are+on+the+way/2008-1036_3-
5684006.html .

FOREIGNERS BEWARE! All of the American software and
electronics companies are sometimes friends and sometimes foes
of Microsoft. All American companies would like their own
sweetheart deals with Microsoft. Take, for example, Sun: http:
//news.com.com/Sun+and+Microsoft+Friend+and+foe/2009-1014_3-
5184266.html?tag=st.ref.goo

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE

It is only a matter of time before the computer becomes a
commodity available at the nearest Wal-Mart store for $100 or
$200. I have a $7 twelve-band short-wave radio from China via
Odd Lots. A few years ago I would have had to pay almost $100
for a Grundig G-1000A to get as much functionality and quality
(and I have been at this for many years). I wouldn't have
believed it economically possible until I saw it and grabbed
it.

Could Microsoft stop Wal-Mart? No. Microsoft really is just a
windbag (puffing 10 times more features than you need for 10
times the price) and a moneybag (lots of cash -- and market
capitalization, based on hype and stock splits). If Wal-Mart
doesn't do it first, someone else will. http://www.walmart.com

THE INDIAN MOBILIS -- AT LAST A REAL COMPUTER

It comes from Encore Software Ltd. of Bangalore. http://www.
hindu.com/2005/05/11/stories/2005051103002200.htm It has a
small VGA (color-screen standard) LCD screen and rollup
keyboard, weighs about one and a half pounds (three-fourths of
a kilogram), and opens up to a desktop configuration. It has
flash memory (electronically erasable, programmable read-only
memory) instead of a hard drive.

The software is based on Linux and developments sponsored by
the government of India. Already it has the most-used
applications of a computer: word-processing, email, Web
browsing, and a spreadsheet. Nonproprietary software (by which
I define "general purpose") and all-electronic operation
provide, finally, a real, general-purpose, electronic computer
for home and office use. This appears to be safe from
Microsoft for now.

HORSEPOWER RACE/SCAM

Cheap nonvolatile semiconductor memory is making it possible
to put the OS on chips and eliminate the hard drive, as in the
Mobilis. Abandoning the hard drive involves avoiding bloated
monstrosities like Windows XP, which squanders at least 64 MB
of storage (128 MB is recommended) with bundled application
programs, some of which you probably haven't even noticed, and
with bells and whistles that are "helpful" like too many cooks
in the kitchen.

The game that MS and Intel have used to amass huge capital,
and power (but I repeat myself), is reminiscent of the Fifties
and Sixties "horsepower race" of American car companies
(foolishly reprised with SUVs, a 108-day supply of which is on
car lots now). Microsoft develops a new operating system that
works less than optimally on current computers. Then Intel
designs a new microprocessor with a higher level of
integration (a much greater density of circuit components) and
enough power to run the latest generation of Windows. A few
years later, MS raises the ante and we are in for another
round of computer replacements (those of you who fall for
this). The rest (non-MS part) of the software industry mainly
is engaged in making applications programs -- new programs for
work and entertainment -- that exploit the increased power of
the Intel and Windows hardware and software. Microsoft bundles
as much software with Windows as the traffic, or price, will
bear -- making Windows as expensive and problem-prone as they
can get away with. The result: Two thirds of the software on a
computer runs the other third.

Of course it can be either Intel or Microsoft that initiates
the next round of planned obsolescence in computer. HOWEVER --
and this is key -- the next stage, the next level of
integration, going from 0.09-micron wafer fab process to 0.
065, will cost Intel $6 billion, which only they and IBM can
afford. One of the reasons for the "tech wreck" in stocks
probably was the diminishing returns on higher levels of
circuit integration. Physical limits to processor circuit
density -- in tandem with the dumping of boatloads of
computers -- will end the horsepower race, but Intel and
Microsoft dominance will continue for a season.

OS HISTORY -- GROWING LIKE TOPSY

How ridiculous is this? Consider the amount of memory needed
to accommodate various operating systems. The following shows
how operating systems have grown (the MINIMUM amount of RAM
required by operating sytems). Most of the growth since
Microsoft got involved with MS-DOS version 1.0 has been the
result of the Microsoft-Intel horsepower race (between
themselves and computer buyers' gullibility). Basically this
list is in reverse chronological order (most recent first):

Windows XP ---------------------------- 64MB (minimum, 128 MB
recommended)
Linux Red Hat (Unix clone) -------- 32 MB
Apple Mac OS 8.6 -------------------- 24 MB
Windows 98 --------------------------- 24 MB
Windows 95 ----------------------------- 8 MB
Commodore Amiga OS 3.5 --------- 8 MB
Windows 3.11 --------------------------- 3 MB
Apple Lisa -------------------------------- 1 MB
MS-DOS 6.22 ------------------------- 512 KB
Windows CE (for Pocket PC) ----- 512 KB (in ROM)
Apple Mackintosh OS 1.0 ---------- 128 KB
CP/M --------------------------------------- 20 KB
MS-DOS 1.0 ----------------------------- 16 KB
TRS-DOS (Radio Shack) -------------- 4 KB

One hundred and twenty-four megabytes for the operating system
is "the dumbest fool thing I have ever heard!" (Bill Gates
rhetoric I cleaned up). The OS should fit on an inexpensive
amount of flash memory. Eliminating the hard drive gets rid of
a lot of cost, size, weight, and Windows to boot (no pun).

I wrote a book in the late 1970s (see list at end) that
included Tandy Leather Company's offering, the Tandy-Radio
Shack TRS-80. A few years before that, I remember programming
microcomputers, as we called them then, bit by bit -- this was
basically a microprocessor development system using machine
language. I remember my relief a year or so later when I could
build a Heathkit H8 and program it four bits at a time using a
hexadecimal keypad -- this was basically a microprocessor
development kit or demonstrator. I remember Don Lancaster's
"TV Typewriter" in the mid Seventies -- this was basically a
dumb terminal. It could be coupled to a time-sharing computer
system, but mostly it was used just for displaying 512
characters on a screen and for amateur experimentation
(chatting by text via ham radio, for example). Then, in the
late Seventies, with the TRS-80 and its contemporaries, which
melded CRT screen and keyboard, it was possible to program a
home computer in a higher level language at last, BASIC. At
the time, our dreams for computing didn't go much beyond
balancing a checkbook (I never heard of anyone actually doing
this with those relics). This was an era of open systems 25-
plus years ago: Many people designed operating systems for the
TRS-80.

While we were playing with these things and naming ourselves
"hackers" after model railroaders who hard-wired complex train
controls beneath their layout tables (no connotation of
malware back then), Doug Engelbart was fathering the mouse and
graphical user interface (he invented windows with a small
"w") at Xerox in Palo Alto. He, not Microsoft, invented the
windowed or paned interface. Theodor Nelson (the man who
coined the word "hypertext" as in http and html) was dreaming
of the useful and usable computers we still don't have -- and
of something like the Web and Marshall McLuhan's "everything
all at once." Nelson also dreamed of putting the corpus of
human knowledge on the equivalent of an e-commerce network
(which Google seems headed towards finally). We all were
dreaming of useful and usable computers for the masses -- and
we still don't have them, thanks to Microsoft, Intel, and
people of small technogical visions and large greed. At this
time (the Seventies) Bill Gates was dreaming of how to make
money with software while most others were counting on doing
it with hardware. He never lost his lead at this, but his
company never invented anything significant. The last time I
was thrilled by his company was when they came out with MS-
BASIC.

Bill Gates killed the dream.

THE DREAM BEGINS WHERE MICROSOFT ENDS

Progress toward the dream -- cheap, simple, real computers --
will begin again when the cultural imperative becomes global
and bigger than Microsoft. This will not be good for
Microsoft, but it will be for nearly everyone else. This is
about a kind of freedom for the people of the world. The time
is at hand.

MICROSOFT AGAINST THE WORLD

Microsoft's leading executive, CEO Steve Ballmer, is trotting
about the globe "warning nations about the potential for
patent lawsuits if they use Linux." This is sovereign nations
Ballmer (maybe we should add an "s" in his name) is
addressing. The sovereign State of Microsoft knows no limits
to its boldness, but Ballmer and Gates and company are
harboring an illusory hope if they think they can duplicate in
the world at large their US marketing windfall.

The Mobilis could become the MobilUS; and when it or some
other cheap, simple, real computer hits US shores, the emperor
of Microsoft will be exposed (financially, too) and we will be
on our way toward much, much more useful computers.

RELATED BOOKS BY THE AUTHOR

"Microelectronics" (1976) -- Probably one of the earliest
books with "microelectronics" in the title.
"Computerist's Handy Databook-Dictionary" (1979) -- Yes,
that's what we sometimes called computer users then.
"Computerist's Handy Manual" (1979) -- This shows how much
less visionary I was than Engelbart, Nelson, and Gates.
--
  Peace, Force & Joy!   Sudhir Gandotra.  98-101-20918

OpenLX Linux OS, Linux Training, Support, Services, Product Development
   Legal.Software @ Fractional Cost : http://kalculate.com
http://openlx.com - International Alliance of LINUX companies

         You don't need violence to shake the world
        Treat Others As You Would Have Them Treat You
                 www.humanistmovement.org