--- Kapil Sethi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IMHO, Get hold of a old RH 6.2 or 7 distro and dont install any of
> the
> xwindows stuff.

Why a old distro ? I would get an older less supported kernel plus it
seems kernel 2.6 is supposed to be better for firewalls - I cant
confirm though.

Ofcourse no graphical interface or any productivity applications on it.
It will be just sitting quitely protecting my home network :).

> The system will be able to handle a small network very easily.
>
> If you are going to use squid, take care to allocate a separate
> partition for squid cache.

It's a 4GB hard disk plus the only hard disk I/O happening on it will
be for the cache - I would need specific reasons for having a separate
partition for squid. What I would be more interested in is what kind of
resource constraints come into the picture if I install Squid. Also
what about filesystem - is squid's cache preferential towards any
specific filesystem ? I was considering going for reiserfs assuming the
cache will be full of small files.

Mithun