hi,

Check for the "cache peer" option in the squid file if
you are using that, there was bug with same but it was
fixed in your version (if the patch is applied) !!

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.4/bugs/
still recommand to update squid.

"cache_peer"

http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/neighbour.htm#cache_peer