At 2005-08-19 13:32:33 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> the prevailing atmosphere???

Right. I can answer that question better now, mostly by having studied
the responses in this thread. Let's have a look, shall we?

1. Denial. "What's wrong with the atmosphere, dammit?"

2. Proof-by-anecdote that everything is just fine.

3. Cheap digs disguised as humour. You know, the kind where, if anyone
   objects, one can look injured and say, "But it was a joke! Don't
   women have a sense of humour?"

4. "If only women bothered to show up more often, they'd see that
   everything is really all right."

5. "We've done all we can. It's up to someone else now."

Oh, and when the subject of encouraging women to participate *does* come
up, there's usually this undercurrent of "Yeah, we need more hot chicks
in this group, man!"

The consequent feeling: Ugh. Better not get involved.

-- ams