Apt or synaptic should get you the correct Acroread version.
Maybe the repository that you are downloading from is broken.
I use Acroread,xpdf and OpenOffice 1.13 for all my PDF needs.

Although to be honest I have not tried to merge various pdf documents
or manipulate PDf documents.
I mainly use Open Office to convert .doc and .xls files to pdf.
Best regards,
Vikram Ranade