On Mon, September 26, 2005 19:46, nitin gupta said:

> --- Pankaj kaushal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> I use ubuntu with 256 MB ram no probs.
>>

> Do you use heavy applications with it? Also, Will i be
> able to get all the packages for it?

i use ubuntu. 256 MB RAM, AMD Athlon 1800+ (1.5 Ghz). i run evolution,
gaim, gimp, openoffice2, firefox and anjuta and it doesn't crawl.
evolution is open for approximately 12 hours and sometimes 2 days at a
stretch and it still works. apart from that, apache, mysql, squid is also
running on the same machine.

however, i run only gtk applications, no kde. only the required services
are running,  first thing in the morning i kill gnome-panel and nautilus
as they consume a good amount of memory or re-login into the system (not
rebooting). once a month i go into runlevel 1 to kill all services. system
uptime is 95 days.

| vivek  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  http://exain.net |
|        Registered Linux User: #305493            |