Sudev Barar wrote:

> Ram,
> There are few printers from HP that run under Linux but need
> "initialising" when powered on. HP1005/1010 are two such printers. I
> do not remember the URL for this information but linuxprinting.org
> site gave me the work around and as long as the printer remains
> powered on it will keep working with whatever driver you load.
> You have to initialise the printer by giving a cat command and a
> download srcipt. I can look up thursday if you do not find any
> solution. Today being holiday at office. Alternatively google for this
> pon mailing list, I remember (vaguely) posting this solution a year or
> more back.

Hi,

Actually posting the solution would really help

We have searched the net and got the following links ad even followed
them up. But we are probably missing something somewhere - and the we
are all non techies - so there is a good chance of missing something
obvious.

Yesterday we tried the following (with regards to the HP 1005).

followed the links at
http://wiki.clug.org.za/clugwiki/index.php/Adding_an_HP_LaserJet_1000_to_Linux
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1005

I think I repeated what Vivek did earlier - to try and get some response
- even a damn blinking LED from the printer but zilch

first I did this
  $ wget http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
     $ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz
     $ cd foo2zjs

Then I followed the following instructions

Now compile and install it. The INSTALL file contains more detailed
instructions; please read it now.

Compile:
     $ make

(Optional) Get extra files from the web, such as .ICM profiles for color
correction, and firmware:
     $ ./getweb 1005    # Get HP LJ1005 firmware file

Then I did this:

Install driver, foomatic XML files, and extra files:
     $ su
     # make install

After this I tried
gnome-cups-manager the print manager and tried to install and stuff but
it continues to show both pbmtozjs and foo2zjs- but nothing seems to happen.

I even tried the following
sudo gedit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
1.Find the the LogLevel option:
LogLevel info
and change the line to:
LogLevel none – changed to this on Oct 11th 2005
Save, exit, and type in the command
$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

still nothing

*Are you suggesting that I do this*
cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1005.dl > /dev/usb/lp0

in cups script: /etc/init.d/cupsys

I can open the said cupsys file and edit it ad add the line , the
question is where - the file (when opened in gedit ) has a lot of colors
and operators or whateever they are called.

That am willing to try

Secondly, would't I need to do this once the printer is working ?? which
at the moment it is not.

regards
ram