--- Abhay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't know what your views are about Hindi
> computing and I am no
> authority to speak about it either but imho Hindi in
> itself is like an
> orphan child who has no one to take care of.

I oppose your views on calling Hindi an orphan child.
It depends on us, how we treat and use it. If people
are ashamed of using Hindi, then it's their problem,
not of the language.

> Solution? Print out the keymap then look for each
> letter first on the
> paper and then on keyboard which took really long to
> get any kind of work done.

Yup! I did the same and it didn't take me much time
learning typing in Hindi. I was able to chat in Hindi
within 2 days of printing the keymap out.

> English. Let people move
> on to Hindi first...feed them the standards later.
> Trying to do both at
> the same time achieves nothing but frustration and
> repelling users away
> from Hindi.

There is always a proper way to do certain things. And
if someone is determined to use Hindi on computer, he
wil surely learn how to type in Unicode. Were we able
to write Hindi alphabets in a day or two at Nursery
School? Why didn't our teachers instructed us to stick
pre-printed alphabet stickers in place first and
writing in pencil later because it's tough to write?

When Indic computing has evolved and Susha is a thing
of the era bygone, why should we keep ourselves tied
to a legacy which rides on the back of English keymap?

> That is just my opinion. You are free to have your
> own.

:-)

regards,
Nishant