Hi

Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:
> --- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>EXT3 -fs error (device hdb6): ext3_gen_inode_loc: unable to read
>>inode
>>block _ in inode 17992 :      block 360456
>>inode 180012                  block 360457
>

> The only thing which can make the filesystem driver throw an error is
> if the physical media is absent.
I can login as root and can see that the various files are there.

and both HD's seem to be functioning partially.

Also while bootup it gets to saying unpacking kernel and so on.

There are two HD's - tried doing a df command and it fails

tried doing cfdisk - just to check what it says and again it gives an
error message

says /proc is missing.

then tried checking if the /home was there - Yes its present

> Since this is a hard disk and I assume a non hot swapable one - your
> media has had a failure. Just get it replaced and use a different media
> to boot your OS before you try to retrieve anything from this one.

Was thinking of live booting knoppix  and recovering the data - on to
cd's and then trying a reformat and re install

would it be a good option

thanks
ram