On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:00:19AM -0800, Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:
>If my understanding is correct a simple NAS is:
>1. A storage space available over the network
>2. Fault tolerant
>3. Expandable
>4. Transparent
>5. Compatible across OSes

add

1. rack space costs (NAS / SAN devices typically have far lower form factor
than if you try to run a bunch of fileservers across to a datacenter)

2. out of the box and just works - most of the time. you dont have to
sacrifice white chickens and mutter incantations all the time like you
would with a homecooked solution

3. hot swappable modules in your NAS / SAN

4. lots and lots more redundancy and failover built in

5. A SLA with your vendor that you can enforce if things turn out bad