--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> One particular directory repeats it self within itself many many
> times. I gave up trying to count at some 40th level or so.
>
> The contents of the directory withing the directory are the same and
> if any file is deleted from any of the mirrored / copied / imaged
> (imagined) directories it also gets deleted from the main (first
> directory)

Heh, thanks for the headscratch. I think what you are seeing is an
effect of symbolic links. If I understand your description above
correctly, you can get the same effect by doing
  mkdir ~/mydir
  ln -s ~/mydir ~/mydir  # Create a symlink to itself within the dir.
  touch ~/mydir/a ~/mydir/b   # Create some sample files
Is this what you mean? This might have happened due to some
misconfigured package. You can tell whether ~/mydir/mydir is a symlink
by doing a "ls -l ~/mydir" which would show an arrow in the name of
the symlink. It is probably OK to remove it, unless the package is
somehow dependent on it. In any case, it does no harm to leave it in
place.

Regards,
Gora