---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: निशांत शर्मा | Nishant Sharma <*** [at] gmail.com>
Date: Mar 1, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: got tata indicom cdma card working with ubuntu linux on acer laptop
To: Linux Lingam <***>

Hi Niyam,

On 3/1/06, Linux Lingam  wrote:
> thanks nishant. you are the game, the game is you.

You are welcome *blush*.  In fact, I had a lot more plans, even to
create the similar watcher software for GNU/Linux but couldn't get
time and motivation.

> 1. wish to make and receive ordinary phone calls from this card. what
> do i need? i don't even know if i need a headset that jams into the
> sound and mic port of the laptop, or a special one that plugs into the
> aircard. what software?

You can easily make an outgoing phone call. Put in your Samsung/Nokia
handsfree in the aircard and use minicom to issue this command:

AT+CDVnnnnnnnnnn (nnnnnnnnnn is the number you want to place call to)

To disconnect the call:
AT+CHV

You can recieve the incoming call, but no ring is heard. That's what
the Sierra Watcher software does in Windows. Command to recieve the
call is:
AT$QCCAV

> 2. any way of sending and receiving sms?

Yup ;-). I am able to read the SMS using minicom only:

!CNTSMS should tell you the number of SMS in the inbox.

!GSMS=i,m (i=index no., m=message no.) displays the mth message in ith
index. I don't remember it exactly, but would send you the commands
reference for this card that I have somewhere on my laptop ;-)

> 3. gotta go and install skype. by the way, just discovered somewhere
> that the *.deb package of skype is flawed to run on deb or ubuntu. so
> get the *.rpm package, run alien to make it into a deb, and install
> that.
Hmm... Don't know about that, but yes, I had to compile and install
skype_dsp_hijacker over skype as it has a bug to lock the sound card
being accessed by OSS and not ALSA on the debian. The incoming voice
speed is double too, may be because of cheap half-duplex sound cards
used on the laptops. Festival also had similar problem.

Also, did you face any trouble running pack_cis command on Ubuntu? As
I have seen people complaining that it throws some error because of
Ubuntu using new gcc and libc?

yes, i did face a bug. googled around and found the fix was to upgrade
to pcmcia-cs-3.2.7-3.2. i could not find a deb of this. so first
installed alien, then downloaded an rpm, alien converted it to deb,
then ran dpkg on it, and got it running.

interesting side-effect of doing this though.
the cardinfo utility, that little gui thingie, disappears, and am at a
loss to get it back.

also, i installed 'gnome phone manager' in the hope i'd get a
gui-based sms send and receive utility running from the taskbar. it
could not sense the card and just showed a disconnected sign.

regards,
Nishant

PS: Please forward this to ILUGD list, as my gmail account is not subscribed.
--
How about some patent on "(a+b)2 = a2+2ab+b2". Choose free software!
http://www.nishants.net

:-)
niyam