Yashpal Nagar wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>> why not just hook up an old mobile phone to the Monitoring system and
>>> use that ?
>>>
>>> doing alerts over the network ( like email / URL / webservice etc )
>>> brings a massive disadvantage : that the system might be trying to
>>> complain about the same network being out!
>>>

>> Shiv,
>>
>> my point was that such a sms_gateway is of no use, if the network access
>> to the sms_gateway itself is going to be down!
>>
>> and, err... TopPosting sucks..
>>
>> - K
>>

> As a matter of the fact which i believe  is one need to use SMS gateway
> when you have bulk of messages to be broadcast, for a fewer broadcats a
> mobile with  a GSM modem should do..

mobile phone = gsm modem. it has  ( || should ?) everything you need for
both outbound and inbound sms.

I have my nokia 6210 hooked up in a manner that i can remote reboot
machines ( including powercycle the router / gateway if required ).

> Secondly if i am not wrong mobile will do a serial broadcast and a SMS
> gateway can render SMSs almost immediately to all mobile users .?

( I presume this is where we decide this conversation to be no longer
relevant to the OP .... )

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : [EMAIL PROTECTED]