On 3/25/06, "आशीष शुक्ला \"Wah Java !!\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now, I'm unable to use "su" program to logon to uid 0 account
> because it says there is no user named "root". So, my question is, is it a bug
> in "su" program that instead of looking for "root" it should check for user
> name
> of uid 0, or I'm wrong ?

No, it's not a bug. 'root' is just the username su looks for by
default. Read the manpage.

You can have as many usernames with uid 0 as you like. Why you'd want
many, I don't know. :o) However FreeBSD, for example, ships with two
uid 0 users by default - root and toor. toor just has a bourne-again
shell rather than plain sh; basically a 'utility' user so you can get
an easier-to-use bash environment while leaving root with no-surprises
(?) sh.

The real user identifier on a Unix system is the uid. The username is
just an alias for it, really, for us name-obsessed humans. Even where
the superuser is concerned.

Cian