On 31/03/06, Sharath Jeppu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had responded against your mention of Windows 98 in your email. Adobe
> Acrobat 7.0 is not available for Windows 98.
> As for Linux, Adobe only has Adobe Reader 7.0. The current PDF forms require
> Adobe Reader 7.0.5 or higher. So you are still stuck.
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html

Okay so we wait till Linux reaches 7.0 whatever...Deadline by
department is still June 30th  :-P

> Even if you do ultimately get a version 7.0.5 or higher later, you will only
> be able to fill and sign the form offline. But to submit it, you will
> require IE and hence Windows. (Am not sure why but I think the portal
> probably uses a few ActiveX components when you do a form submit. It does
> not even work in Firefox/windows)

That is why my first proposal to put MCA site on hall of shame for
promotng propritary formats and companies.

> > And how do you sign the certifcate? As you mention by use of private
> > key. Would you upload your private key on a unknown computer at
> > facilitation centre to digitally sign? You might as well gift all your
> > property to me right now. My understanding is to get private key
> > signed you need Windblows....
> I thought I did mention about a "Secure crypto token" option. This is
> basically a microprocessor based smartcard in a USB dongle format. You don't
> need to upload the private key. The signing operation happens within the
> crypto token instead of the computer memory.
>
> http://www.icma.com/info/understandingpki.htm
>
> The Digital certificate is required to be issued by a Licensed CA after
> identity validation. You don't sign the certificate. The certificate is
> signed by the CA to attest the information against your public key. You sign
> the PDF form using your certificate along with your private key.
>
> Hope this clarifies a few more things :-)

May be some other Guru's  can clarify or argue about this. AFAIK some
where or other you will have to give a password or private key to
identify yourself and if this is stolen your identity is stolen.

Atleast debate opens up and I learn a few ore things.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux