--- Yashpal Nagar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi
> We use smbmount to mount certain windows shares as by rc.local on a
> Redhat FC3 box as:
> /bin/mount -t smbfs -o
> username=Administrator,password=xxx,uid=userid,gid=ftpusers
> //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share /data/share/ &
> Now the problem is after sometime this get hanged due to either
> windows
> m/c gets rebooted or some time-out don't exactly know .
> Is there any nice other way around to get sync again smb shares in
> such
> cases?

Firstly put it under /etc/fstab - you have better control over the
mounting and unmounting process including unmounting shares while
shuttign down.

Secondly I think your problem stems from the fact that smbfs like nfs
will retry indefinitely if a share becomes unavilable - this can have
serious implications on the server. The way around is to understand how
the hard and soft mount options works. Read the details under the nfs
section in mount and decide which one is more important. Remember hard
mount is the default and that is what you would usually want unless
your apps really know how to handle unrealible network file systems.

Mithun