in infinite wisdom Shakthi Kannan spoke thus  On 12/17/2006 10:16 AM:

> Have you tried opening up a CMS from a dial-up connection in any rural
> place in India? It will be pathetically slow.

I don't think cms are inherently slow. My own site runs joomla and
serendipity and I live on dial-up at home.  However, I don't find it
painfully slow (a bit slow, but workable).  One cheap method for
preserving bandwidth is to have mod_deflate (or mod_gzip in apache 1).
Another trick is to make your sites mostly-textual.

There are sites which can measure the speed of your site and recommend
you what to do.  Using those sites to actually measure your site's speed
will be better instead of dismissing a good system based on a 'hunch'.
--
raj shekhar
facts: http://rajshekhar.net | opinions: http://rajshekhar.net/blog