On 17/12/06, Shakthi Kannan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know about colleges in and around Delhi. But, in Tamil Nadu,
> Kerala, and Karnataka that I have seen, most of the so-called
> engineering colleges:
>
> * are in the outskirts of cities/towns/villages.

Does this prevent them from havingdecent intranet?

> * there are limited computer labs and computers, compared to the
> number of students who are admitted.
>
> * no 24x7 lab facilities. Even if they were 24x7, it wouldn't be
> sufficient for the entire admitted students to use the limited lab
> resources ... (1)

There are technologies like LTSP available to bring down hardware /
software costs. BUT if there is will on part of college authorities
and techers to go beyond M$ mindset.

> * Very few colleges permit hostel students to have personal computers.
> Even if they did, there wouldn't be a *decent* Internet connection.
> Choice of Internet connection is usually that of the college
> management.
> * Hostels that provide an Internet lab have very few computers, same
> problem as (1).

That is the shame.

Even at risk of going OT here but I must comment that many colleges
offering computer courses are nothing but money business for the
owners. They are able to get by because the parents or students do not
look at colleges and their infrastructure before joining them.

First the government created artificial shortage by not allowing many
private colleges and the effect is that even now many people feel
lucky to get addmission in to a college based on entrance tests /
donations. To hell with what they are actually able to offer.

Knowledge wise it my be much better for students to join diploma
courses from some better computer shops than get a degree.

Sudev Barar