On 12-Feb-07, at 1:24 PM, Baishampayan Ghose wrote:

>> which free software license is gmail released under?
>
> FYI, GMail is not a software but a web-service. The concept of Free
> Software doesn't extend to web-services yet because the Internet
> was in
> its infancy in 1991 or so.

it is now 2007. Does it make any difference whether a software is
running on your machine or on a remote server? You are using the
software - obviously there is some sort of license or eula for using
even gmail? For example, using wikipedia, as far as i know, the code
is available for download. Does this make a difference? And all those
google addons to the browser, how about them? are they free or
proprietary or web-services? This is not a flame-bait, I only started
thinking about this when the OP said that gmail is 'free'.

> It's still debatable whether Google is violating the GPL or not since
> the GPL permits users to make private modifications and since
> Google is
> not distributing the source code of GMail, it is deemed as a private
> modification.

i didnt get into the argument of whether google is violating gpl.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS