On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:08:37PM +0530, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:44 +0530, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> [...]
> > I still have some problem with keyboard layouts. I use phonetic layout
> > most of the time but I still do not know where some of the letters
> > are. It will be useful if somebody could pass an image file that gives
> > the keyboard layout.
>
> What keyboard layout are you using? If you are not sure, maybe you could
> tell us how you start up the Hindi keyboard part, and how you would type
> a Hindi word, say "namaste".

I use scim to select the language (hindi-->phonetic). I would type
namaste by using the following sequence of keys: nmsfte (where f
gives me the half character and e gives me the matra).

Sorry, I cannot reproduce the hindi output here. I use emacs as my default
text editor for emails, and it does not support hindi typing.

> Unfortunately, that is not a problem that can be easily fixed.
> >From my understanding gnome-terminal cannot be easily fixed to
> do proper rendering of Unicode, OpenType fonts, which is
> currently needed to handle Indian languages. Probably the best
> solution would be to develop a TrueType/console font for Hindi,
> but that is a lot of work.

I see.

Thanks very much,

Vikas