> The screenshot of Emacs rendering Devanagari text on my box is
> below: http://flickr.com/photos/wahjava/857367020/
>
> Do you get similar kind of rendering with CDAC fonts or better than
> this ?

Here is a an old screenshot [1] that I dug out. This is emacs-mtty,
but I don't think it matters much insofar as rendering is concerned. I
can see that the Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil rendering as
correct.

>> The emacswiki link cited above has a recipe for setting a fontset
>> in your .Xdefaults that worked for me.
>
> I don't have CDAC fonts, so I've tried setting following font set in
> my .Xdefaults:

Here [2] are the CDAC fonts. I am not sure about the distributability
of the fonts, but since _our_ government funded this, I think we have
a right to use them.

> -- begin .Xdefaults --
> Emacs.Fontset-0:-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1,
> \ chinese-gb2312:-*-fangsong
 [snipped]

I have only the haziest recollection of the loops that are required to
render Indic text correctly (afaik, it is still wrong for Kannada on
my Debian sid box for everything other than Emacs).

> Does emacs-unicode-2 also has support for complex script rendering,
> hmm... ?

I don't understand what is meant by 'complex script rendering'. I am
using self-packaged versions of unicode-2 for my day-to-day work and
have yet to encounter a problem in either devanagari-itrans or
kannada-itrans.

CDAC has recently released a CD containing some software for Indian
languages and that CD has a bunch of TTF indic fonts. Most of them are
fugly (imho), but if you want I can put them up somewhere. Of course,
this means that you have to use unicode-2 as that is the only Emacs
that supports xft. More details here [3].

Footnotes:
[1]  http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/Screenshot.png
[2]  http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/cdacfonts.tar.gz
[3]  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XftGnuEmacs

--
Alok

His mind is like a steel trap: full of mice.
                -- Foghorn Leghorn