Scanning MTNL's ip space, I noticed with a faint sense of horror that a script
kiddie could DOS MTNL's service pretty thoroughly in the space of about half an
hour, since most of MTNL's modems allow wan access and have a default
username/password combination. Other details are then available, which will
apparently allow a cracker to abuse the victim's account.

Allegedly MTNL doesn't use caller ID as part of its authentication.

If this is true (I find it hard to believe this), then MTNL is being
inexcusably negligent. Of course, MTNL doesn't have much incentive to stop
this, since they just pass the bill on to users (and if the user doesn't have
an unlimited account, too bad).

If this is not true, then the crackers who are using cracked accounts
are likely being naive idiots.

So another tip for users is:

Make sure you have all WAN services disabled in Management->Access control->
services to avoid this sort of abuse.

regards
PJ