> > also, strange as this may sound, can i get a similar
> > buffalo here in  india?
>
>  Yes, Buffalo NAS stations are available in India.
>
> regards
> VK

thanks for the info.
researching further, i stumbled across an article by BBC, which led me
to drobo, which led me to a cnet review, and at the bottom of the cnet
review links to more home-storage-and-sharing solutions that scales up
to gigs and terabytes.

so without further ado, please check out drobo
http://drobo.com/
the downside: a)supports only NTFS and HFS+ b) the empty shell costs
USD500, and you bring your own hardisk (YBYOHD)
the upside: quite a few.
has anyone hacked this to work with gnulinux filesystems and FAT32?

the cnet review of drobo, that mentions more devices at the end of the
article in the 'similar products' section:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/drobo/4505-3186_7-32470303.html

an article in NYTimes, on solutions for the growing number of gora
mohantys and ankur rohtagis of the world :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/technology/circuits/02basics.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

:-)
LL